Thursday, June 15, 2006

That's the darndest callback I've ever seen

So I'm watching George Carlin on the Leno show, and they show a clip from Cars, in which he plays a VW van with the character of a hippy. In the clip, he's staring at a traffic light like a Pink Floyd fan at a black light poster.

And one of the other cars says to him, "The '60s weren't good to you, were they?"

Now-what you gotta understand about me is that I'm a George Carlin fan from way back, and I have a freakishly good memory. So the first thing I think of is a joke from Outrageous Fortune, a 1987 movie in which Carlin took a small part.

In that film, he played a cowboy/hippy type who, when Shelley Long and Bette Midler describe the convoluted plot so far to him near the end of the movie, replies, "The '60s were good to you, weren't they?"

Whoa...

No comments: