Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I deny

Worthwhile (though-let the clicker beware-somewhat lengthy) entry in The Mahablog. It discusses a couple of things.

First, the would-be-hilarious-if-it-wasn't-about-something-so-somber slow-wittedness with which Bush supporters past and/or present are accepting the fact that he is not...

Well, let me quote, as Mahablog does, George Will, of all people.

"Where's the leader?" Bush, according to Woodward, has exclaimed in dismay about the Iraqi government's dithering. "Where's George Washington? Where's Thomas Jefferson? Where's John Adams, for crying out loud?" For a president to ask that question about Iraq, that tribal stew, is enough to cause one to ask it about the United States.


Some of us were asking that about the United States before, George, but welcome to the party. Which brings me to the next thing MB takes on. One or two conservatives who were pro-war are trying out a new defense: To claim anti-war liberals who say they knew the war was going to go badly are acting with the benefit of hindsight.

MB's put together a few pretty prominent liberal and/or Democratic voices (Krugman, Dean, Ivins) who were right early and right often.

What I want most of all in regards to the situation in Iraq is for ever single one of our troops to be brought home. I know some claim now that we're in the ditch, we have to stay and dig ourselves out but I subscribe to the Jon Stewart theory: As long as we're looking to the same person who led us into the ditch to lead us out...

But what I want second most of all is for every single policy maker who supported the war (Republican or Democrat) to have to stand up in front of people like Krugman, Dean and Ivins and say:

"You were right, and I was wrong."

And as long as I'm fantasizing, I'd like my novel published with a cover by Paul Chadwick and for Aaron Sorkin to read it and say "This is incredibly good, Ben."

"...if you're gonna have delusions, you may as well go for the really satisfying ones."
-- Marcus in Babylon 5:"The Summoning"

No comments: