Sunday, January 07, 2007

Random Flickr-Blogging: IMG_1847: Robert Crawford can lick my ass edition

A word of explaination. Robert Crawford, AKA "Jurassicpork," recently asked me--

why don't you go back to writing stupid little captions for Random Flickr blogging and leave the political commentary for the big boys and girls, OK, bubba?


--in reaction to a comment I posted to one of his blog entries. Well, not so much one of his blog entries, because, like most of his blog, it consists of quoting someone else's writing vebatim without comment or original thought. But nevertheless: This one's for you, buddy!



Original source.


Although the fact is, I don't have a "stupid" little caption for this, I just like the photo. It's a boathouse. I like the feeling I get from the picture of approaching something. I like the dreamy feel I get from it too.

My first, and first-produced, play is called The Girl in the Boat, but that probably isn't why I like it. As I've discussed before, I've always liked water and related imagery. I've always imagined that if I were a fisherman, I'd be the kind who doesn't give a damn whether he catches anything. And may not even have a worm on the hook. But to spend a few hours rocking in the sea, and otherwise messing around in boats, to quote Wind in the Willows? That I could go for.

I also have that sense of disconnect that I think a lot of people have that a house, or a home, is something they're trying to get to. A couple of my favorite songs are about, or at least refer to that. I was listening to one just the other day--No Place Like Home by Squeeze.

So maybe it's not so terribly farfetched to intuit that what I like about this picture is that it represents both the way I'd like to take the journey, and my hoped-to-be-arrived-at destination.

Which may not be all that weighty of an observation, but at least I can guarantee you that more thought went into it than any 10 Jurassicpork posts.

"I'm a writer," [Moss] said quietly. "If we're going to get into this territory, I can do it a good deal better and more cruelly than you can."
--Steven Bach, Dazzler, The Life And Times Of Moss Hart



1 comment:

Tom Hilton said...

It's a lovely, evocative picture. Great commentary.