Monday, January 08, 2007

You just can't do stuff like this to the English language

Ok, quick backstory. A church diocese in Los Angeles has decided to reach out to the gay community by creating a "rainbow" version of the famous fish symbol. I know-you and I, being kind, compassionate people, say who could possibly say anything is wrong with that?

I mean, the one thing I'd say is that it looks to me more like a sideways necktie than a rainbow-colored fish. But nevertheless the spirit of openness and inclusion is quite heartening in these times. And yes, some people are pissed about it.

Most specifically, Phil Magnan, the Director of Biblical Family Advocates. Not for the first time in an instance like this, I find myself more offended not by the homophobia, which sadly I've come to accept too many self-proclaimed "church believers" think is a color that looks good on them, but by the tortured, awkward speechmaking.


"To actually put the rainbow colors on such a sacred symbol for the Christian is an affront to the faith of not only the early church believers, but those of us who know that homosexuality and its colors have no place representing historical Christianity that upholds holiness and morality, very highly."

Sheesh. This guy's lost. Maybe he should try Hare Krishna.

(Anybody-besides Corey-who gets that reference, write in)

Tip o' the hat to Shakespeare's Sister, who allows as how


Doodz, we totally need to start a band. Homosexuality and Its Colorettes.

This reminds me of one of my favorite observations from the hippest book in the world, Bubblegum music is the naked truth, wherin is contained the fact that New Wave is music for geeks, girls and gays.

Ever since reading that, I have wanted to form a New Wave trio with a girl and gay just to call ourselves that.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

The fact that you can barely play an instrument aside...oh wait, that guy from Flock of Seagulls couldn't really, either? Never mind. :)