Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bye, Guys And Dolls

My thoughts on the final Studio 60:





  • I'll admit I cried a bit (a very, very little bit) in the final moments, but I'll deny that if you ask me in a day or two. I'll even deny I wrote that.


  • I still remain pissed that "30 Rock" was saved not because anyone wants to watch it any more than they did "Studio 60," (they don't) but because of network politics and finance.


  • I shook my head, knowingly but with affection, at Sorkin's latest attempt to cast his mirror character, played by Matthew Perry, as a hero. Sorkin, Sorkin Sorkin... :)


  • But oh man, that last line. What a thud. What a clunking, clunking thud.




Media Life Mag has a good handle on the "Studio 60" signoff. I can't argue with most of it, though I do query this assertion:



Aaron Sorkin, the man behind “West Wing,” turned off many viewers by taking on political issues like religion and freedom of speech that were “Wing’s” mainstay.


I don't think it was his taking on those issues that turned viewers off, it was that he didn't do it as well as he is capable of. He didn't write well enough to get over the humps fate had in mind for this one.

No comments: