Sunday, June 24, 2007

It's Gay Pride weekend, y'all

Keitha & Annabel told me to be sure I commemorated it with a blog entry, and I do what they say. They're much smarter than me.

Yahoo! has put together a selection of photos from various celebration events around the world, here are a few of my favorites.



You'd think a Gay Pride parade in Greece would be redundant. But no, apparently not. Then again, they do still have that big parade in San Franciso every year, and if ever there was a place where that would seem redundant...



These French kissers are in Marseille.

Per jeopardygirl, the translation of the French on that girl's cheek is either "Don't touch love" or "Don't touch me, I love."

I like "don't touch love" better, it has a broader meaning.



Here's an Israeli man attending the parade in Tel Aviv. This photo made me think of the lyric:



Some say a trick, some say a look
It's just a way of thinking after all
From underneath something concrete
It's just a way of coping, coping with it all
Some will revolt, some will obey
Who attains perfection and who's to say
A criminal, a cardinal
Both frightened of angels
It doesn't mean much now
It's built for the future
--The Fixx "Built For The Future"




Here we are in Latvia, where it may be easier to be green than to be gay.



Protesting the ban of the Moscow Gay Pride parade at the Russian Embassy in Berlin, a woman decides to make it really simple for homophobes.

"See this? And this? Can go together. Get it? Ok, one more time."




These last two photos are of girl rockers Tatu, who joined in and spoke out about a gay rights protest in Moscow.



I'd always thought they were kind of pseudo-lesbians who turned up the Sapphic for shock value, so good on 'em for doing this much.

No comments: