Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Some afternoons the universe just gives you gifts.

Or, "Roses (a true story)."

Today, driving to the supermarket, listening to Yaz, I looked out of my open driver's side window and there was a woman walking alone down the sidewalk.

This all took place in a matter of seconds, but I'd put her somewhere between her late teens and early-to-mid 20s. She was wearing a black, sleeveless top and on her head, a do-rag, also black. Her skin was white, I think that what I could see of her hair was brown. As was her skirt, darker than her hair, wrap around and lightweight-looking.

In each of her hands she held rose petals, letting them fall onto the path as she walked.

My first thought was that she was scattering them, as you might at a wedding.

Part of me wanted to pull over, slow down, and say, "That's beautiful, what you're doing," but it was a long one-way street and it would have meant going around the block and I didn't want to look foolish.

But anyway, I did say aloud, "Thanks for that one, God."

A few minutes later I thought they might also have symbolized blood dripping from her wrists.

Photos follow for an obvious reason.


















No comments: