Monday, June 04, 2007

Speak for yourself, John

From the book Man In The Middle by John Amaechi, the British-raised former NBA center who announced that he is gay earlier this year, on his arrival in Ohio in 1988:
I was addiced to '80s pop, especially the Brit variety, which at that time had barely made it to the American coasts, let alone the middle of the country. So I suffered from serious music withdrawal. In those pre-iPod days, I missed the cool tunes of Ultravox, Hot Chocolate, Marc Almond, Human League, Erasure and ABBA.

In retrospect, I suppose my taste in music should have been an early clue. It was hard to imagine a gayer playlist than the one I'd unconsciously assembled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you know why I sent the James Brown...ha!

Ben Varkentine said...

Oh yeah, Mr. Brown certainly didn't have any "feminine" characteristics...