Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I remain more than a little skeptical about Ted Nugent's musical gifts

Why? Because I'm a ballet-loving, tutu-wearing little girl, that's why. At least that's what I assume is the reason why I don't like big papa daddy duke boy hunter-killer Nugent and his geetar.

But wouldn't you just know it: He's the only rock star I've ever seen in an airport? It was in Detroit, on one of my trips to or from Tennessee. It's not like I was expecting to see Neil or Chris from Pet Shop Boys, but Ted Nugent?

C'mon, man-it may not be completely my style but as arena rockers go, Pete Townsend or Eric Clapton would've been impressive. Alice Cooper, Areosmith, ZZ Top or David Lee Roth would've been fun and given me something to "brag" about. I'd even have settled for a member or two of Motley Crue.

But no, I gotta see Ted Nugent.

Oh, so you wanna know what brought this on? Turns out a few months back Nugent wrote a commentary for a newspaper calling for the excecution of any and all child molesters. Well, great! Few things give me the creeps as much.

(I haven't even been able to figure out how to post about a recent horiffic re-twisting of Oedipus.)

But here's the thing: Ted Nugent calling for child molesters to be brought to justice...

  • Is like the GOP calling for the sanctity of marriage
  • It's like Bush speaking out against dirty politics
  • It's like China advising abstenince
  • It's like someone from California laughing at somebody for being too "new age"
  • It's like someone from NYC criticising another city's smell (I've heard)
  • It's like someone moving from Oklahoma to the middle of nowhere.


Because as Mark Kleiman reminds us...

Reportedly Nugent admitted/bragged about multiple sexual encounters with minors in his interview with Behind the Music. On the same show, Nugent explained how he persuaded the parents of his seventeen-year-old girlfriend to make him her legal guardian on the theory that this would allow him to bang her with impunity. There was apparently more discussion of that incident in "The 100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock" in Spin sometime in 2000, but I can't find a link. Courtney Love reportedly told Howard Stern that she gave Nugent oral sex when she was 12 and he was 28.


David couldn't find a link, but I remember both the episode and the article-I've still got that issue of Spin around here someplace. The above description is accurate.

No comments: