Thursday, November 29, 2007

By the resolution, I was openly rooting for the killer.



So there's this thing called an idiot plot, frequently cited by critics including Harlan Ellison and Roger Ebert.

It was coined, if memory serves, by Arthur Knight.

The definition is


a plot that hangs together only because the characters behave like idiots



The movie Disturbia is the most perfect feature-length illustration of this concept I think I have ever seen in my life. Plus glopped-on "tension" music, shot-for-shot predictability, and lead characters I hated.

This has been a review.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I wouldn't say that I was rooting for the killer, but I did think that Disturbia was like Transformers, but with a serial killer instead of the Autobots. Think about it...

Ben Varkentine said...

I would, but I haven't seen Transformers.