Saturday, December 01, 2007

Spam-Flickr blogging

Got an email this evening from someone with a Flickr account, making me his "contact" and sending along a link to his photos. What I can't figure out is why. At first I thought it was someone who'd discovered I used one of his photos for RFB or something, but, no.

The guy only has six photos and I've never posted any of them. You'll understand why I haven't, if I tell you that a typical shot consists of a self-portrait of a scruffy-faced, full-lipped man with protruding nose, glasses and curly dark hair taken on New Jersey Transit.

Yeah, that is so exactly the kind of picture I post, isn't it?

So again...why? I mean I've gotten used to occasional "X would like to be added as one of your friends" emails from MySpace. Even though my MySpace account is nothing but a hollow shell, set up when I thought I had a "real world" friendship with someone with a MySpace account. To be able to comment on her page, I needed one of my own but there's virtually nothing on it.

So why do I still get those emails? Well, investigation proved, they tend to be from pale young women who seem terribly concerned that I haven't yet seen their private and special photo collections. Which are now accessible for a low yearly rate.

I'm assuming that's not what this Flickr fella is after.

If it is, either I'm sending the wrong signals, or someone's decided I'm in the deepest state of denial imaginable.

No comments: