Friday, October 07, 2005

I can look deep into your eyes and shout Hold me, hold me...

Shakespeare's Sister has a good entry on "outing" today. I especially agree with this part:
I always find it interesting that people to whom I’ve spoken who dislike the practice inevitably agree that they would argue with “outing” other aspects of a politician’s life that would expose hypocrisy, but remain uncomfortable with outing someone on the basis of his or her being gay. I think it reveals an entrenched discomfort with homosexuality that some people are unwilling to admit to themselves, even as they champion gay rights.


I don't have chapter and verse, but that last bit goes along with something I've long suspected is true. I think there are people who are not, shall we say, quite so "enlightened" as they would like us to believe. Or as they may believe themselves to be.

It's one thing to express sympathy for a minority...but acceptance is another kettle of fish alltogether.

1 comment:

Ben Varkentine said...

In terms of this outing discussion you have to remember that most if not all of the gay politicians who are being "outed" are those who are actively working against civil rights for gays.

You're presumably not actively working against rights (or rites, tee-hee) for witches.

As for what comes to mind when you say Witch; in my case, my old friend Stefon who is active with a coven down in Northern California...