Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Is your marriage really necessary?

A friend (Colleen) of a friend (Corey) has a noteworthy post at her blog, Communicatrix.


What really pisses me off about marriage is what pisses me off about most things that stick in my craw: it's not fair. Specifically, it's not fair that some people (i.e., the ones who might meet in a titty bar) get to do it while others (the ones who might shower together after P.E.) can't. Period. I mean, I have lots and lots of issues about marriage, but I freely admit those are more about me hating the sound of the cage door slamming shut than Marriage as it might be practiced by non-lunatics (who, for the record, come in both the titty bar and P.E.-showering variety).


She goes on from there to flip through some sites proposing alternatives to marriage, such as:


My favorite of the sites, the Alternatives to Marriage Project (a.k.a. unmarried.org), has its own mongo cache of fun links, including: "Famous People in Unmarried Relationships (Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins are only the beginning!)"; jokes ("why don't melons marry? they cantaloupe"); and separate sections on being polyamorous and/or marriagefree ("as free as the wiiiind bloooows...").

I don't quite know why I think this is a noteworthy post. I don't know why it rang a bell with me. It's not for the reason you might think; because I support gay marriage.

So far as I know I don't have any strong feelings about marriage one way or the other (never been, never asked...never been asked. Never been close).

I think that I would like to be, maybe, someday, "meet the right, girl, settle down" and all that. Of course, I did once watch the girl that I was in love with get married to another guy, and that fucked me up so much I eventually wrote a play about it in which she sleeps with "me" and leaves her fiancee (there was more to it, as those of you who've read it will testify, but...)

On the other hand, I had a pretty lovely time with my friend Moya watching my friend Stefon get married a year or so ago...although I got down when I saw the pictures; I don't think I looked my best.

On the other other hand, I'm a bastard. I am "illigitimate."

How do I feel about marriage? I don't know how I feel about marriage, thank you.

2 comments:

the communicatrix said...

I hear you, Ben. I'm not even sure what it was about the links on the SAG site that got me revved up. Sure, some of it has to do with my frustration over the Governator's pussying out, but mostly, I'm just sick sick sick to death of one group of people trying to legislate their version of morality.

I mean, I *can't* get pregnant, I'm *not* going to get married again (probably, anyway) and yet, I'm outraged that ANYONE would have what I consider birthrights stripped away in the name of hooey.

Oh, well...

john_m_burt said...

*Heavy sigh*

People be so damn cruel, so damn cruel . . . .