Thursday, November 17, 2005

Happy Endings

Finally saw this movie, which I'd been wanting to do for a while since I liked Don Roos' The Opposite of Sex a lot, and Maggie Gyllenhaal intrigues me. So how did I like it? I would have to call it flawed-some of the storytelling choices I'm not sure I agree with, meaning not only the story but the way it is told-but impossible to dismiss.

I think what may bother me is that the performances are excellent but the characters are spread too thin. I would much rather have focused on two or three of them rather than the nine or so this movie presents me with and expects me to care about.

Yet I cannot deny that it affected me, in some cases in ways too personal to talk about here.

On a lighter note, it's also something of a "Hey! That's..." festival. I knew about Tom Arnold and Lisa Kudrow, but the guy who plays Rory's dad on Gilmore Girls and the woman who used to play Nina Myers on 24 both show up too.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Ben, thanks for the review. Also, I love the Lightning Seeds, too! I think my favourite of their songs is "The Life of Riley."

Ben Varkentine said...

JG, you're welcome. I like "Life Of Riley" too. I don't know if it's my favorite song but I do think that second album is generally underrated.

Apart from the singles I think the first one has a lot of filler, but I love the second one straight through.