Sunday, November 13, 2005

Hello. I'm Johnny Cash.

Roger Ebert has an article here about the forthcoming Cash bio-pic, "Walk The Line" that makes it sound promising. I'm a fan of Cash, and the film's been getting great pre-release reviews. But I confess I was a little worried it might be overburdened with mythmaking and showbiz cliches.

Well, maybe not. Ebert writes that Cash, who would later approve the choice of Joaquin Phoenix to play him,
had one requirement for the star of "Walk the Line": "Whoever plays me, make sure they don't handle the guitar like it's a baby. Make them hold it like they own it!"


He also reminds me that the film's director and writer, James Mangold, also made "Heavy" and "Identity", among others. These are films that show undeniable talent, although they're flawed (especially the first).

So maybe it won't be so bad. After all, until "Fellowship of the Ring" came out, I was afraid that was gonna be a collection of overused cliches too...

1 comment:

Julia said...

I'm not much for country music and the like, but Johnny Cash is like a piece of Americana/History. I'm down with that.

Can't wait to see the flick.