Friday, November 18, 2005

Inaugurating a new weekly feature

Last year (while still at the old blog), I found an interesting site purporting to list A Million Love Songs. As I said at the time,

Any such list that includes:
Book of Love
A song from Grease 2
A song written by Kirsty MacColl
An ELO song from Xanadu
and Pet Shop Boys

--I gotta give props. I'll just ignore the whole Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds thing...


Now, sadly, the site seems to have gone the way of all flesh, and several thousand shy of its goal. So: I'm thinking every Friday, I'm going to take a post here to list a few love songs and why I love them.

I may not reach a million, but I don't know about you, I need an occasional break from the political.

So:

"The Way You Look Tonight," Tony Bennett. From the My Best Friend's Wedding soundtrack. The song is a classic and Bennett is an icon; the last man standing of his generation of crooners.

"I've Got A Crush On You," Frank Sinatra w/ Count Basie & Orchestra. From At The Sands.
Here the love is not so much between a man and a woman as a man and his music, or rather his musicians. This performance contains a great ad-lib when Basie saxophone player Lockjaw Davis plays a particuarly lovely riff after Sinatra sings about a cottage to share. Ole' blue eyes stops and says, "You wanna meet monday, we'll pick out the furniture?"

"Dulcinea," Richard Kiley. From the Man of La Mancha Original Broadway Cast album. One of Broadway's greatest love songs.

"This Means Anything," Paul Young. From The Secret of Association. "I'll be with you again", words without credence..."

"Wild Horses," Prefab Sprout. From Jordan: The Comeback; also on the Life Of Surprises best-of. It's dear, it's crystalline and it contains the single greatest cameo appearance by a film and television actress (Jenny Agutter) on a pop song...

That'll do for now. Nominations will be thankfully accepted in comments or e-mail, but please don't just send me an artist and a title, give me a line (at least) about why you love it...

No comments: