Sunday, December 04, 2005

179 pages. 36, 293 words. 32 chapters.

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, a novella in four parts and an epilogue. Yes, friends, I'm moving on to new and interesting fields in which to fail. Those you on my "first reader comments" list: Don't get nervous. I anticipate at least one more major draft that I hope will bring the word count up to where it can be called a novel, albeit a short one, and then a polish. Both of these will happen next year. A lot of this draft was taken up by the simple mechanics of adapting something originally written for one medium into yet another.

However, I do want readers and comments. Of the former, especially those who haven't been with me on almost every turn of this road so far, and know or think they know the characters almost as well as I do.

But my feeling is that I want to make this round of readings and comments strictly voluntary. I realize that agreeing to read and remark upon on a major hunk of prose (even a comparatively short one as this one is) is a commitment. Morso than a screenplay, short story, or stage play (all other forms these characters have tried in their quest to get out of my head. And win the hearts and minds of their countrymen-and-women).

So, what I'd like is that if any of you would like to give this draft a "test reading" you'll let me know. If you don't already have my email, it's in my profile-or it's just benvarkentine "at" earthlink dot net.

Make it easy on yourself-I don't expect you to read this and get back to me within two weeks. What with Christmas or the non-Christian holiday of your choice bearing down on us like a two-ton truck and all.

But I do like at least a somewhat prompt reply. Shall we say, more than a month, but less than two? And now if you'll excuse me, it is time for my traditional recital upon completing a new work...
There's a part of you always standing by,
Mapping out the sky,
Finishing a hat...
Starting on a hat...
Finishing a hat...

Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat...

--Stephen Sondheim, "Finishing the Hat," from Sunday in the Park with George.

PS: If I haven't heard from anybody else in a week, then, my "first reader comments" list, you can get nervous.

No comments: