Friday, May 18, 2007

Forget it, Veronica...it's Neptune


As you didn't have to be a fortuneteller to predict, Veronica Mars has not been renewed for next season. SAP and Keith the Reel Fanatic are in mourning and I know they're not alone (in fact SAP links to another).

Veronica Mars has been one of my favorite TV shows literally since the day it premiered and I can prove that. I spent what seems like a year or two badgering people to recognize its superiority, or even just try it.

I can't bring myself to get too crazy about its cancellation; I went into this season knowing it was do-or-die time for Veronica ratingswise. Nor do I think I can really call the CW stupid (or threaten, as Keith does, never to watch the network again).

They cancelled a show that after three years was still at the very bottom of the ratings for the week. That doesn't make them stupid or mean I should deprive a future show I might like of my viewership, or myself of the pleasure of viewing.

The show blew its chance to expand on the cult and critical following it had acquired over the first season when the second season's writing spun wildly out of control. Although the third season has been a marked improvement, it's still (for me) too often been in fits and starts.

I hope everyone involved both in front of and behind the camera on Veronica Mars will go on to other things, and I'll certainly be watching for them.


No comments: