Monday, May 14, 2007

Things that make me miss my girl Kirsty

I just happened to come across the video for Katharine McPhee's song, "Over It." I'm not linking to it, but it's not hard to find if you're curious.

And I'm not denying Ms. McPhee is hot and shapely (why do you think I watched the video?).

The thing is, Kirsty MacColl was both of those things and could actually sing and write.

Based on the video (and songwriting credits), McPhee can't do either.

It's seven years since Kirsty was wrongfully taken from us and Katharine McPhee is an "American Idol."

Things that make me miss my girl Kirsty.

And frankly hate the American music biz, just a little bit more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard to tell if someone can sing or not in an over produced studio recording. Try this stripped down version of Over It:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEE5kRU6-uE

Ms. McPhee can sing with the best of them. She has a few writing credits on her album. Give it some time before you say she can't write.

Don't be hating on McPhee - she is one of the few pure talents around and she has a pure soul and spirit too. I'm hoping she will be an antidote to the admittedly dreadful current music scene.

If that is ok, you might try this one from just last night live in Seattle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od726RV9wOg

Ben Varkentine said...

Personally, I'm always skeptical whenever someone claims to know the quality of another's soul.

But even if McPhee's soul as a person is innocent until proven guilty, which every man and woman's should be...

...her record is so fake it makes Pet Shop Boys sound like B.B. King.

Anonymous said...

Did you listen to the links I posted? Don't judge Ms. McPhee. She has to do what she has to do, she is owned at the moment. If you are determined to dislike her at all costs then go ahead. I'm thinking she might just be the balm you need. Of course you have to strip away all the crap that is involved in the music business today but if you do you will find someone unique here, despite the fact that she plays the game so well. It is not good to mourn 7 years for someone and meanwhile ignore those who are still with us.