Monday, May 14, 2007

No Flowers Please

My (below posted) opinion of Ms. McPhee has attracted the attention of an anonymous champion who tries to make me see sense on the matter. He/she also writes, in reference to my bemoaning the fact that crap (as I see it) like this rises while Kirsty is dust,

It is not good to mourn 7 years for someone and meanwhile ignore those who are still with us.


Quite right.

This is Jen Foster, performing "SHE" with 2 Chix and a Drum (shake it, ladies).



This is Venus Hum, featuring vocalist Annette Strean, performing "Montana" (I couldn't find an embedable version).

And this is Violet Indiana w/Siobhan De Marè, performing "Purr la Perla."



By coincidence, Foster and Venus Hum are both either currently based in or from the usually (and justifiably) much-mocked state of Tennessee. Proof yet again that music is the best if not only reason not to simply peel up that state and flick it away like an old scab.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

American Idol is a very interesting program, not because it thrusts the talented and the semi-talented into the international consciousness, but because of the rabid and vociferous following it engenders.

Anyone remember the Clay-mates? That outspoken and dedicated fan base that circled around Season Two's runner-up Clay Aiken? Years later, the most loquacious among them are STILL pushing their agenda
on the public.

One wrong word, one joke at the expense of their favoured contestant, and Idol fans will rally forth to try and "change" the speaker/writer's mind. It's almost as if the contestants are members of their family, whose honour is at stake!

What a lot of these people don't understand is, as a celebrity, talented or not, the contestants (past and present) will have to suffer all sorts of discussion until they succeed or finally (blessedly) sink back into oblivion.

If I may inject my two cents, I watched Ms. McPhee on the show, and while I agree she has a very nice voice, her stage presence and ability to convey the meaning of a lyric left me cold. Maybe she has improved as a performer, maybe she's had more vocal coaching since last year, I don't know. I can only say that
based on what I saw, I have to agree with you, Ben.

Thank you for the links to some truly amazing singers.