Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ellison watch

I haven't felt able to stay with the "Masters of Science Fiction" anthology series ABC has been running Saturday nights, but I had to watch last night's finale. It was an adaptation of a Harlan Ellison story with a script written by him and Josh Olson (who also wrote "A History of Violence").

Starring were Brian Dennehy, most recently heard in "Ratatouille," and John Hurt of "I, Claudius" and "Alien."

It feels like it's been a few decades since I read the original short story, which was probably to the better. I didn't remember until the very last seconds what the ending was, when it came to me with a horrible certainly that was almost sickening.

I don't know how much was word-for-word-, but adaptation seemed to have a suitably "Ellisonic" flavor (and Ellison himself in a cameo).

I guess what I really what to say is that it was well written, well-acted, and well-directed (by Jonathan Frakes of Star Trek: The Next Generation)...but its cynicism depressed the hell out of me.

I know these kinds of "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" are what a lot of people expect from Ellison, but I always liked to remember...and lately, maybe more than ever...his stories with a lighter, even more life-affirming touch. Like "Jefty Is Five," or "Laugh Track" or "Mom," or best of all, and probably my very favorite of his stories, "Paladin Of The Lost Hour."

That's what I wanted to say.

No comments: