Saturday, January 26, 2008

For comparable dialogue samples, see any given episode of "The L Word."

The script for the TV movie 7 Things to do Before I'm 30, which premiered this evening, made Will & Grace look deep and warm. The dialogue progressed from toenail-peeling, sick-making bad to oh-my-god-I'm-going-to-scream-if-this-person-keeps-talking worse.

The less said about the direction, the better.

As I think I may have remarked here once or twice before, to be a fan of Amber Benson is to be resigned to the belief that she's better (as an actress) than most of the projects she does.

Not that I'm saying she's perfect...although I did find this picture via a website called Perfect People.



And as we all know, you're not allowed to put something on a website unless it's objectively, verifiably true.

This is why I’m proud to tell you I am writing this from my new condo in San Francisco, where shooting will soon begin on my first feature film, staring Liza Weil and Shannon Marie Woodard.

Back to reality... (But I'm so happy here!)

My point is, given good material and filmed properly, she's a standout. Here she's given an overly-cute "rom-com" script, filmed unflatteringly, and she still goes down swinging.

I can only assume it's a collective failure of the artistic community that Benson hasn't been able to follow up on her breakout part as Tara on "BtVS" yet.

I know, I'm gushing. I'm a fan. We're allowed to do that. And I hate to think it's because she played a lesbian...though there is some reason to believe that might have something to do with it.

No comments: