Saturday, November 05, 2005

Alien vs. Predator

Just caught this movie via HBO on-demand. While of course it can't hold a candle to the first two Aliens movies or even the first Predator, it was more exciting than I'd expected. Or at least more watchable.

My emotional involvement for the Aliens series was nullified by the idiotic decision to kill Newt at the beginning of the third film. And my expectations for the Predator series were never that high. So I was able to enjoy this movie on this basis:

I picked up early on that it was basically a 21st century version of the kind of 1950's science fiction movies beloved by MST3K. Think Rocketship X-M. Surprisingly cheap looking special F/X? Check. Big, strapping white men? Check-although, in a nod to current sensibilities, there's a big strapping black man along for the ride too.

The "shock" ending (which I will not reveal) also answered a question I posed last year in my old blog. I predicted:
Someone, somewhere is going to do a joke about ALIEN VS. PREDATOR that spins them as Democrats vs. Republicans. But which are they?

The end of AVP answers this question. The Republicans are the Aliens. They're bossed around by big queens, enjoy whipping, and do not support a woman's right to choose what she will carry around in her belly.

The Democrats are the Predators. They cloak their real motives in the shadows and although they can be a friend if you have a common enemy, they are extremely stupid. Trust me. If you see the ending, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Whoever wins... We lose.

No comments: