Saturday, November 05, 2005

I am hard to please (musically that is ha ha ha)

More music meme categories, courtesy of Bill Sherman:

Favorite Alt-Country Song: None.

So far as I know, I don't know many alt-country songs.

Favorite Cramps Song: None.

Ditto.

Favorite Instrumental (Rock): "Nocturne #2"-Joe Jackson

Okay, I grant you, almost by definition, it's not rock. But I don't care, I love it.

Favorite Kinks Song: "Days"

On a technicality--it is, of course, the Kirsty MacColl version that has my heart.

Favorite Nick Lowe Song: "Cruel to Be Kind"

Yeah, probably.

Favorite One-Hit Wonder:

Oh, man...there's too many to choose from. I'm an '80s music fan, for god's sake and between the Living in Oblivion and Just Can't Get Enough series...

Favorite Post-Punk Song:

To be honest I've never really been sure what "Post-Punk" means. My favorite songs are by groups like My Favorite, Joe Jackson and Naked Eyes, and I don't think they qualify.

Bill chose Joy Divison's "Love Will Tear Us Apart," and I tend to annoy Joy Divison fans by telling them I prefer the Paul Young version. Still do.

Favorite Ramones Song: "Judy Is A Punk"

But only 'cos it's on Keoki's underrated Kill The DJ compliation.

Favorite Otis Redding Song: "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay"

This is another one of those things where I won't apologize for a seemingly obvious choice. One of the great soul songs of all time--and I've long thought it was about a man considering, and then rejecting suicide.

Favorite Roxy Music Song: "More Than This"

Roxy is a group you'd think I'd like more of than I do considering that they essentially midwived rock and roll as I know it. Bowie, of course, being the inventor. But except for this sensuous song that makes me nostalgic for a time I never really knew given that I was little more than 10 when it came out, no.

And when I say something makes me nostalgic for a time I never really knew, this may or may not be an original thought, but: I think I mean it makes me nostalgic for the adult world I thought existed then.

One of these days maybe I'll do a post about all the songs like this that are on my "need-to-get" list. The ones by groups that I don't like or know enough of to want a whole "greatest hits," but can't find on a good multi-artist compilation, either.

What do I mean by "good" multi-artist compilations? Well, also on this mostly-hypothetical list would be Yes' "Owner Of A Lonely Heart," Toto's "Africa" and Laura Brannigan's "Self-Control." All of these actually appear on two or three of the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City video game soundtracks.

But you understand-I just can't...it's the principle of the thing...

Favorite Steely Dan Song: None.

Walter Becker produced an airy, dreamy toe-tapper for China Crisis in "King In A Catholic Style (Wake Up)", though. And I dig the cover of "King Of The World" that's on Joe Jackson's Summer In The City-Live In New York album.

Favorite Frank Zappa Song: None.

Sorry, not a fan.

And one for Johnny B-

Favorite Alice Cooper song: "He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask)"

1 comment:

Bill said...

I wouldn't argue with ya too fervently for prefering Paul Young over Ian Curtis. "Come Back And Stay" is one of the great 80's songs . . .