Saturday, November 05, 2005

That's the way to inspire confidence in your staff

From the Washington Post:
According to a memo sent to aides yesterday, Bush expects all White House staff to adhere to the "spirit as well as the letter" of all ethics laws and rules. As a result, "the White House counsel's office will conduct a series of presentations next week that will provide refresher lectures on general ethics rules, including the rules of governing the protection of classified information," according to the memo, a copy of which was provided to The Washington Post by a senior White House aide.


How comforting. The White House staff needs a "refresher course" on ethics. You know, if I were on the White House staff, I think I'd be quitting about now so the secret service didn't have to take me out for screaming at the president.

"I didn't leak classified information, you prick! I'm not breaking my promise to fire those who did. I didn't obstruct justice and risk 30 years in prison just to put your incompetent ass in the oval office for another four years. I'm not keeping a known security risk employed in the White House just because I'm not man enough to make decisions without my "brain." And you're telling me I need a refresher course on ethics? Fuck you."

"I understand that there is a preoccupation by polls by some," the president said. "The way you earn credibility with the American people is to declare an agenda that everybody can understand, an agenda that relates to their lives, and get the job done."

ETA: The Political Teen says something I just knew some conservative was going to say.
Liberals complain that there are no ethics in the White House, and what do they do when the White House tries to promote ethics? They complain again.

Dude, if Bush really wanted to promote ethics he'd have fired Libby and Rove (at a minimum) months ago. It's called actions speak louder than words. And how can announcing to the world that your White House needs a refresher course on ethics not be something for people who oppose you to complain about?

As always, the quick quiz is, what would you be doing if the Clinton White House had made such an announcement? Would you be thanking them for "promoting ethics" or would you be complaining? Uh-huh.

Bush has no credibility with the majority of the American people right now, and this is why: Because they can see what his agenda is, and it's protecting his friends at the cost of getting to the truth.

He is incapable of calling them to task and holding them accountable. And Americans can see that, and Americans understand that. And that's why so few of us believe him, or think he can get the job done.

No comments: