Saturday, November 05, 2005

All you do to me is...

Mark Evanier has a good post about Al Franken's Air America show and left-wing radio in general. I mostly agree with it, and would add that I think Franken really thought that with his help, the Democrats would sail to success in the 2004 election.

Unfortunately, he hadn't counted on the stupidity of the Democrats, and election night knocked the wind out of him. I still count his appearance on the Sundance Channel that evening as among the saddest things I have ever seen.

Here's Mark:
I liked Al Franken's show its first few months when (I have the feeling) it was all new and exciting to him. I think the filling of three hours per day is getting to the guy and the loss of his co-host has made it more evident that he lacks certain broadcasting skills. Say what you will about Rush but he's been at it for a long time and if he gets bored with his own program -- and I'm sure he does -- he's learned not to let it show. Franken's great as a guest on talk shows and he was especially good with Leno the other night. I've enjoyed his past books and based on this week's New York Times best seller list, I'm obviously not the only one. But there are certain skills one needs to sustain on the radio, especially when you have to fill 15 hours a week, and I don't think Al has them. Maybe he'll make a better senator.

What he said.

No comments: