Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pirate Meets Girl Waiting For A Star To Fall

Introduction:

For the sake of your sensitivities, I do not ask that you watch each of these videos in their entirety. A minute and a half or so of each should suffice to illustrate my point, or at least to embed something in your head the way it's been in mine...

This is the cheesiest song from The Pirate Movie, itself fabled in song and story as one of the cheesiest films ever made. To say that the lyric is full of double entendres is to give it too much credit. It's so lewd and vulgar I can't even believe they got it into a movie whose target audience was 10-year-old girls and gay boys.



And what about this end song from the same film? Try to decide which is worse, the performances, the lyrics, the choreography, the costumes...



Both these songs were nominated for the 1982 Worst Original Song Razzie award; the first "won" it. They're really bad songs, is what I'm saying.

But are really that much worse than Boy Meets Girl?

This is Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star To Fall.



It was one of the top-selling hits of 1989, yet it's long sounded to me like it could have been written for the same movie.

See if you don't agree.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Hmmm, I see what you mean, but I still like that "Waiting for a Star to Fall" song...it's the melody more than anything, I think.

BTW, with the 2nd clip, the worst part is the choreography, bar none.

Ben Varkentine said...

But you have to admit the costumes give it a run for its money. And the direction...

And...