Thursday, August 16, 2007

Women my own age

In a little over two weeks time, I will officially be closer to 40 than 30. I think it'll soon start seeming wrong for me to spend so much time "appreciating the asthetics" of women in their 20s. (Although when it comes to "appreciating asthetics" Becca and the Sam Frog make me look like Dan Quayle. )

Besides, when I watch interviews with women like Julia Stiles or Claire Danes, I find what I'm thinking more often than most is..."She's so young." And I don't mean that in the creepy "come over here, little girl" way.

I mean that if I actually met someone from their generation, we'd have little or nothing to talk about. And yes, actually, that matters to me.

Obviously, it's not age that's preventing me from meeting such a someone. But I just thought it would be a good idea to start reminding myself of the women with whom I share at least semi-common experiences.

Plus I also thought it would be good to feature a few different women than the ones who usually star around here (Sylvia Kristel, Nicole Kidman...). And if nothing else, I thought it would make a good series of blog posts.

So that's what I'm going to start doing for the next couple of weeks. Every day in this spot, there will be appreciations of "women my own age." These are all women born within one year of me (on either side).

Today we'll start with stand-up comedian Maria Bamford, born September 3, 1970. She's really funny, quite possibly nuts, nice to look at, gifted at doing voices, and darned surreal. How have I possibly not dated her?

Here's about a two-minute sample.



Next, Aisha Tyler, born September 18, 1970-in San Francisco, yet.



Tyler is hot--obviously--and has shown herself to be an able actress in appearances on shows like 24, Friends and the Santa Clause sequels. She also appeared on I Love The '80s, so you know there's a connection there.

I also think so far she's been the best of the rotating co-hosts filling Roger Ebert's chair on TV during his illness. Fire Roeper and just give her the show till Ebert gets back, I say.

And Natasha Gregson-Wagner, born September 29th, 1970.



I'll be honest with you, I've only seen Gregson-Wagner in a few films, and I only remember her in a couple of them. But what I do remember is that she's very cute and has what I would call perfect breasts.

I never said I was completely renouncing my shallow ways, now did I?.

Watch this space...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Maria Bamford. I've been using a quote from her on my email lately:
" I’ve never really thought of myself as depressed as much as paralyzed by hope."

-A'mee

Ben Varkentine said...

I've never heard that quote before, but I love it. Thank you.

Richard said...

Maria Bamford put in some hard time playing a Bajoran so I have the feeling she runs like hell when she sees a geek guy coming.

(And how sad is it that when I learned that about her employment history, my first thought was "Oh yeah, that's excellent casting, she's totally got a Bajoran face! There's definitely a bit of Ro Laren and Kira Nerys in those dark demented eyes of hers...")

Ben Varkentine said...

Ah yes, but I didn't know that till you told me...geek.

Anonymous said...

Aisha Tyler.........

I've been in love with her ever since she hosted a late-late-late-night talk show several years back.

Alan Coil