Friday, August 17, 2007

Women my own age, Part Two



Emily Lloyd, born September 29th, 1970. After her unforgettable performance in Wish You Were Here, I think a lot of people expected Lloyd to have the sort of career that Kate Winslet is having.

Didn't work out that way, I don't know why (but according to this bio, she suffers from OCD, and maybe from that uniquely British strain of Fear Of Success).



Kelly Ripa, born October 2, 1970. So sue me, I actually kind of like Ripa. I'm a sucker for women with good senses of humor about themselves, which she seems to have. And anybody but Kathie Lee...

Josie Bissett, born October 5, 1970 (in Seattle). Probably remembered by most for her six years on Melrose Place, but remembered by me for an underrated romance/mystery/thriller called All-American Murder.

Never released theatrically in this country, the movie was directed by Happy Days star turned journeyman director Anson Williams.

Williams direction leaves something to be desired in places (he was going through an "arty camera angles" stage). But he's helped by the performances (Bissett stars with Christopher Walken, Charlie Schlatter, and Amy Moore Davis) and a decent script by Barry Sandler.

It's one of those movies that you come across (as I did, several years ago) on cable and tune in to with lowered expectations. And then, somewhere along the line, you start to feel the growing suspicion that...this is actually kinda good.

Which it is. I won't pretend to you that it's The Shawshank Redemption or anything, but it's good.

1 comment:

Johnny Bacardi said...

I totally agree about Lloyd- I always thought she was headed for stardom- and I've always thought she was drop-dead gorgeous. It's a shame that it didn't work out for her...